Robert the Doll

If La Isla de La Munecas has showed us anything, it is that a benign child's toy can be the subject of nightmares. Stories of haunted dolls is not uncommon but one stands out above the rest. In the late 1800s, Thomas Otto and his family moved in to a mansion at the corner of Eaton and Simonton streets in Key West, Florida now known as the Artist House. The Ottos were known to be stern with their servants sometimes even mistreating them. It was the treatment of one such Haitian servant that provides a twist in this story. This woman was hired to take care of their son Robert. One day, Mrs. Otto supposedly witnessed her practicing black magic in their backyard and fired her.

Before she left, the woman gave Robert a life-like doll which stood 3ft tall, button for eyes, human hair (believed to be Robert's) and filled with straw. Dolls that resembled children were not unheard of during this time, but this one proved to be special. Robert named the doll after himself and often dressed it in his clothes. Robert the doll became his trustworthy companion. He took it with him on shopping trips in to town. The doll had a seat at the dinner table where Robert would sneak it bites of food when his parents weren't looking. Robert would even be tucked in to bed with the boy at night. Soon this innocent relationship took on a strange nature.

Soon after, Robert chose to be referred to as his middle name Gene after being scolding by his Mother. He told her the doll's name was Robert not his. Gene was often heard in his toy room having conversations with Robert. Gene would say something in his childish manner and response could be heard in a much lower voice. Sometimes Gene would become very agitated, worrying the servants and his mother. She would on occasion burst in to find her son cowering in a corner while Robert sat perched in a chair or on the bed glaring at him. This was to be only the beginning.

Household objects would be found thrown across the room. Gene's toys turned up mutilated, giggling could be heard. Whenever these unusual acts took place, Gene always said, "Robert did it!" The boy took the punishment but always insisted the blame was Robert. As the mischief grew, more and more servants took their leave as new ones were hired. The Ottos' relatives felt it was time to do something. With the recommendation of a great aunt, Gene's parents removed Robert from his care and placed him in a box in the attic. This is where he resided for many years.

After the death of his father, Gene was willed his boyhood home. He decided to live in the Victorian mansion with is new wife. Gene had become an artist and felt the house was spacious and would provide a place for him to paint. He went to the attic and dusted off his childhood toy. He became attached to the doll despite his wife's displeasure. Gene would take the doll along with them everywhere they went. He even sat in his favorite little chair while Gene and his wife slept nearby. The Turret Room became Robert's domain after Mrs. Otto moved him back to the attic. Their marriage slowly became sour until Mrs. Otto supposedly went insane and died of unknown reasons. Gene followed soon behind.

Robert supposedly attacked people, sometimes locking them in the attic. People who passed by claim to hear evil laughter coming from the Turret Room. For some time, Robert remained in the empty house by himself until a new family purchased the mansion and restored it. The doll was once again moved to the attic. This pleased it as much as the last time. The doll was often found throughout the house. On one certain night, Robert was found at the foot of the owners bed giggling with a kitchen knife in hand. This was enough to send them fleeing from the home.

Robert was later moved to the East Martello Museum in Key West where he sits perched in a glass box. Despite his new living quarters, the doll is believed to not have given up his menacing ways. Visitors and employees claim they have seen the doll move. His smile has been known to turn in to a scowl. One employee cleaned Robert, turned off all the lights and left for the night. The next day, they returned to find lights turned on, Robert sitting in a different position than the night before and a fresh layer of dust on his shoes. Some say he'll even curse you. If you want to take a picture of him, you must ask politely. He'll tilt his head in permission. However, if he doesn't and you take the picture anyways, a curse will befall upon you and anyone who accompanied you to the museum. The same will happen if you make fun of him.

To this day, Robert remains at the East Martello Museum in his sailor suit clutching his stuff lion, continuing his menacing ways.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is very interesting. I've seen stories like these on youtube but never believed it.
Anonymous said…
My Father actually went and saw This Doll in the museum He said he always felt Weird Around its case and Saw Him Actually turn his head a Bit Really Cool.
Anonymous said…
i think i will base a book for school on this!
Anonymous said…
whilts on honeymoon with my wife in 2007 we payed a visit to Robert and said hello.
Anonymous said…
wow its so interessting would love to go there
Anonymous said…
O my gosh!! I want to go see this doll and see if he will tilt his head. And a person dumb enough to even make fun of him!??
Anonymous said…
I actually live here in Key West and go there alot. Its a great place and think you should visit. You will love it!
Anonymous said…
MY FEAR FOR DOLLS JUST MASSIVELY INCREASED.
Anonymous said…
cant wiat to see him and say hello . will be there next year.
Anonymous said…
Well thats a load of rubbish it is impossible for a doll to do these things its just a story people
Anonymous said…
Wow, reminds me of chucky but less kill like...
Anonymous said…
Interesting fact- they based the Chucky movies off of Robert the doll.
Anonymous said…
SO CREEEEEEEEEPPPPY!
Anonymous said…
We saw Robert on a tour last night. My wife didn't believe in stuff like that. While we were standing infront of the doll, my wife became ill and had to leave. so creepy. true story.
Anonymous said…
I'm Visting Florida Keys this year and ibegged my Dad a 100000000000000000000000000 timesto go Visit Him WISH ME LUCK!Please
Anonymous said…
My boys and i saw robert...we now believe in him! My son took a picture of him and none of them turned out! Beware!
Anonymous said…
Wow this is the most interesting doll story. tho i hate dolls like tht ...
Anonymous said…
Been to see Robert twice. Never a dull moment. When I first walked in the room, I wouldn't look at him, but he woud not take that. While I was looking at the hearse on the other side of the room, I began to get a strong stinging sensation in my cheek. It persisited and I grew sick to my stomach, until I turned to look at him. Really odd felling around him. Then a year later, I returned with my adult daughter. She got a migraine headache and had to step all the way out of the Fort before it let up on her. Nasty little evil-spirit doll!
Anonymous said…
Watch out.
You should not have said such displeasing things.
It only gets worse.
Anonymous said…
My girlfriend and I took the ghost tour in decmber 2010.
At the doll house stop, while the tour guide told us the story, i made a bad comment and a bad joke.
Later that night, i woke up in the middle of the night feeling there was something in the room which was completely dark, then i tried to move but i just couldn't like something was holding me!! i tried to move and speak to woke up my girlfriend but couldn't.
Was a horrible night and horrible feeling.
I finally managed to move after saying a prayer in my head.
I turned on the light and there was nothing.
We got the hell out of the hotel room (days inn key west).
I apologised to Robert the doll when i undrstood there may be a link.
Respect him when you go visit.
True creepy story!!
Anonymous said…
I'm staying in this fucking turret suite tonight! Didn't know about it until I posted a picture on instagram and my friend was screaming to watch a video, take a look at my instagram if you don't believe me! @roffy_
Anonymous said…
.............ummmmmm okay :O -_-
Anonymous said…
There's a slight inconsistency in this story. When you go to the museum where Robert is, you need to ask permission to take a picture of him, but he doesn't tilt his head in permission. I asked a few different tour guides about it, and none of them knew what I was talking about. The rest of this is still legit, though.
Anonymous said…
awesome i love robert the doll he seems so sweet and i hope people in the future actully respect him like i do
makayla said…
:) i love robert please respect him
Anonymous said…
It's called a spirit you dip thong.. ever heard of the paranormal???
Anonymous said…
I have heard that if you take a picture of Robert without his permission he will curse your family and you.
Anonymous said…
it's all psychological; plan this trip with 6 friends, 3 friends know of this story, 3 don't. See what the 3 that don't know feel about it; I bet they won't even notice!
Anonymous said…
I just came from visting to roberts home, when I went I didn't know what the museums was about so I brought my two year old son. As soon as we walks in, the your guide explain to us the procedure. We were about to walk in the hall way where Robert is placed n my son begins screaming and crYing, to panic.. My son didn't want to calm down until we were out of the building completly! I felt like if something is there, no lie.when I told the last ,I couldn't read anything because he won't stop crying she said she knows, it seems that wasn't the fight time kids cry like that for no reason there
Anonymous said…
Ok sounds great!!
Anonymous said…
Two years ago I visited Robert and I was very polite with him (even though I was terrified of him) after seeing him and taking pictures with him, my family and I went to a bar in the Key. After seeing Robert, I started feeling dizzy and disoriented. I know it might not be much of a reaction, but I believe it to be a coincidence that the same thing that happened to me happened to many others. I hope to see Robert again and find out what else will happen to me, regardless of how frightened I am of him.
Anonymous said…
Omg dip thong. Whoever u r ur fucken awesome and I agree with you
Anonymous said…
Some people are smart and act it,other's are smart and act stupid.
Anonymous said…
Omg !?!! Freaky
Unknown said…
Ouch!
Unknown said…
My hands just started tingling
Kurt Barlow said…
Creepy story...
Anonymous said…
is this even true I mean yes I have a open mind and the stuff on this particular subject is scary but is there any witness or events that can back this up?
Anonymous said…
If you do take his picture without permission he will curse you but then you have to write a letter of apology to him and then he will remove the curse.
Anonymous said…
Dear Robert,
I sincerely apologise, I accidentally came across a picture of you and I’m not sure if the distributor asked permission from you to take this picture, so I wrote this apology.
I hope everything is going well for you at the moment
Frances Siega
Anonymous said…
Dear Robert
Hello! My name is Frances, and I stumbled across some photos of you on the internet and YouTube . I’m not sure if these photos were taken with your permission, so I would love to apologise out of respect. All the best! Take care!
Kind regards,
Frances

Popular posts from this blog

Lorelei Inn

Black Aggie

Reminder Sunday